Few men want to talk about their inability to get or maintain an erection, however, erectile dysfunction (ED) can have a profound impact on relationships and self-esteem. Fortunately, trouble in the bedroom doesn’t necessarily mean you’re dealing with erectile dysfunction. Most men will have problems with an erection at some point in their sexual history. But one bad day in the bedroom doesn’t mean major sexual health problems. So how can you know if you’re dealing with erectile dysfunction?
If you are interested in learning about erectile dysfunction treatments, contact medical aesthetics specialist Annamarie Salyer FNP-C at Bion Aesthetics and Med Spa in Indianapolis, IN to see if this treatment is right for you.
Symptoms of erectile dysfunction
Your ability to become aroused is a complicated process. Your emotions, brain, hormones, nerves, blood vessels, and muscles all play an intricate part in male arousal. When any of these pieces aren’t in line, it can cause some kind of dysfunction.
It’s also important to remember that your mental health plays as much a part of your sexual ability as your physical health. Stress and other mental health concerns can cause or make erectile dysfunction worse. Minor health problems may slow your sexual response, but the accompanying anxiety that comes with the slow sexual response can shut things down entirely.
Occasional, or intermittent, sexual problems don’t necessarily point to erectile dysfunction. But you may be dealing with erectile dysfunction when the following symptoms are persistent:
- Reduced desire for sex
- Inability to maintain an erection
- Inability to get an erection
Who is at risk of erectile dysfunction?
You may be at a greater risk for ED if you:
- Are getting older
- Have a psychological condition like anxiety, depression, or stress
- Suffer from medical conditions such as a heart disease or diabetes
- Use tobacco
- Use drugs and alcohol
- Are overweight
- Are undergoing medical treatment such as radiation treatment for cancer
- Are taking medications such as antihistamines, high blood pressure medications, or antidepressants
- Have an injury that might damage the nerves or arteries that contribute to erections
Can I prevent erectile dysfunction?
Although it might not be possible to always prevent erectile dysfunction, taking care of yourself can help you avoid persistent problems. In general, the healthier you are, the less likely you’ll be to have erectile dysfunction. Doing the following can help:
- Reduce your stress
- Manage health conditions like diabetes and heart disease with the help of your doctor
- Manage your mental health
- Exercise consistently
- Stop smoking, don’t use recreational drugs, and limit alcohol use
There’s no one-size-fits-all treatment for erectile dysfunction. Its causes vary, which means you may need to develop a multi-pronged approach to your treatment plan. Work with your doctor to come up with the best treatment for you. Possible sexual wellness treatments include:
- Lifestyle modifications. Lose weight, exercise regularly, manage your medical conditions, stop smoking, and avoid alcohol and illicit drugs.
- Counseling. Seek treatment for anxiety, depression, and other mental health concerns. If you’re having relationship difficulties, consider couples counseling.
- Prescription medications. If needed, your Bion Aesthetics and Med Spa provider may prescribe oral medications such as Sildenafil (Viagra) or Tadalafil (Cialis).
- Peptide therapy. PT-141, or Bremelanotide, is a peptide that can treat both men and women. In men, PT-141 peptide therapy can boost arousal and treat ED and premature ejaculation.
- PRP therapy. A non-invasive treatment, the PRP Man Shot™ boosts male sexual function and treats male erectile concerns such as erectile dysfunction, size and shape issues, and erection-related pain. The PRP Man Shot™ works for men with sexual dysfunction issues and healthy men who desire a boost. It uses injections of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) that is taken from the patient’s own blood. The PRP Man Shot™ encourages the growth of brand new blood vessels for those who may have poor circulation or trouble maintaining an erection for other reasons. For some, one Man Shot™ treatment is all they need. Others may require up to three treatments.
- Hormone replacement therapy. If you have low testosterone, also known as low T, your levels of the male sex hormone, testosterone, drop below normal. When that happens it may affect your sex life. Your sex drive could go down, and you might develop erectile dysfunction (ED). Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) or testosterone therapy is a way to fight aging and balance your hormones.
Schedule a consultation today for erectile dysfunction treatment in Indianapolis, IN
Do you live near Greenwood, IN, Carmel, IN or Fishers, IN, and want to find out more about erectile dysfunction treatments? If so, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with Annamarie Salyer FNP-C at Bion Aesthetics and Med Spa in Indianapolis, IN to determine which treatment is right for you.