BOTOX® is an effective option for treating fine lines and wrinkles. However, you might wonder what you should avoid after Botox injections. In order to make the most of your BOTOX® treatment and minimize your side effects, however, you’ll want to pay special attention to the following list of things to avoid after treatment.
Annamarie Salyer FNP-C is a medical aesthetics specialist at Bion Aesthetics and Med Spa in Indianapolis, IN offering BOTOX treatments for patients near Greenwood, IN, Carmel, IN, and Fishers, IN. She provides many cosmetic injection treatments to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines so patients enjoy a younger, tighter appearance. Annamarie will discuss your desired results so she can help you determine which treatment to undergo to help achieve the results you seek.
The top 7 things you should avoid after Botox
So, you’ve decided to get Botox injections and you’re asking yourself, “what should I avoid after Botox injections?” Here are the top 7 things you should avoid after getting Botox in Indianapolis:
- Do not massage your face. Rubbing or massaging the treatment area can irritate the injection sites. Further, it can worsen redness, and cause additional bruising. Avoid scheduling any additional facial treatments for two weeks.
- Do not expose yourself to the sun or heat. It’s best to avoid sun, hot saunas, heat lamps, and tanning beds. Heat can inflame your skin, causing redness and swelling. Also, sweat can increase your risk of infection and injection-site irritation. Wear a hat and use sunscreen to protect your skin when you do go outside.
- Do not engage in strenuous exercise. Botox works by temporarily paralyzing specific nerve impulses to the muscle tissues. Therefore, it’s advised not to engage in any form of exercise right after Botox treatments. Doing so can cause painful effects on muscles you want to stay active for a while. Moreover, avoid intense physical movements for a few days post-treatment, at least until the desired effect kicks in. A good exercise regime should be regular and slow with low-impact workouts.
- Do not drink alcohol. Alcohol thins the blood. The resulting additional blood flow can increase bleeding, bruising, and swelling. Avoid drinking alcohol for at least 24 hours after treatment.
- Do not lay down on your face for the first few hours after treatment. Try not to lie down on your face immediately following treatment. It is better to keep your head up and avoid sleeping on your side. This way, you can prevent unwanted stress on treated areas. Lying flat or applying pressure onto the injected site may cause further undesirable results like bruising, leading to complications requiring additional medical attention.
- Do not wash your face with soap. For the first 6 hours after the treatment, you should avoid washing your face altogether. You should then wash your face twice daily after the Botox procedure for the first few days. As an alternative to using antiseptic soap, it is recommended that you use a mild cleanser and lukewarm water, as this will prevent potential skin sensitivity caused by chemicals found in ordinary soaps.
- Do not apply topical products or ointments on your face immediately after the procedure. Putting on makeup or lotions involves touching your face, which is something to avoid for at least 24 hours after treatment. This way you don’t irritate the injection sites or interrupt the healing process.
All about BOTOX
BOTOX is a popular cosmetic injection used to treat and prevent wrinkles caused by smiling, frowning, and other repetitious expressions. BOTOX helps stop the formation of wrinkles to give you a younger-looking appearance. It is a popular treatment option for frown lines, Crow’s feet, and horizontal forehead lines.
Upon injection, the solution blocks nerve activity in the facial muscles that cause frown lines. It works by causing a reduction in nerve activity within the muscles, which helps to smooth the skin and prevent new wrinkles from forming.
Be extra careful
You have to be extra cautious after getting Botox in Indianapolis at Bion Aesthetics and Med Spa to prevent unwanted complications and negative side effects from post-treatment mistakes. Applying the tips mentioned above is highly advised throughout the recovery period.
Risks of BOTOX
With all cosmetic injections, such as BOTOX®, there is always some risk of mild bruising or bleeding at the injection site, which quickly clears up in a day or two. If you should notice bruising, apply a cool compress to the area.
On rare occasions, some patients could suffer a minor allergic reaction to cosmetic injections, which can cause swelling at the injection site, itching, or shortness of breath.
Prior to undergoing BOTOX injections in Indianapolis, you should discuss your health history, questions, and concerns with Annamarie Salyer FNP-C at Bion Aesthetics and Med Spa in Indianapolis, IN.
Schedule a consultation today for BOTOX injections in Indianapolis, IN
Do you live near Greenwood, IN, Carmel, IN or Fishers, IN, and want to find out more about BOTOX injections? If so, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with Annamarie Salyer FNP-C at Bion Aesthetics and Med Spa in Indianapolis, IN to determine if BOTOX injections are right for your particular needs.